THE NEXT BIG THING is a chain of book and author recommendations. One author tags a few others, who then each tag others. The idea is that we all help people out there learn about all the good stuff that’s just out or coming soon. Jeremy Robinson tagged me way back in December and I never got around to answering the call, but better late than never, right?
1. What is the working title of your next book?
My next book published under my own name will be On Her Majesty’s Behalf, book two in the Great Undead War series, due out from HarperVoyager in July. (I say under my own name because I have two books coming out before that under the pseudonym Alex Archer as part of the Rogue Angel series before that – Staff of Judea in June and The Vanishing Tribe in May.)
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
I was doing some reading on the use of gas in World War One and wondered what it would have been like if the Germans had invented a gas that brought the dead back to life.
3. What genre does your book fall under?
It’s definitely a mishmash of genres – alternate history, for sure. It is also a zombie thriller and a steampunk adventure.
4. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
I have no idea. Too many characters and not enough time to imagine who everyone would be! That said, I think Jeremy Renner would make a terrific Major Burke.
5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
The ragtag band of misfit warriors known as Burke’s Marauders must penetrate the bombed-out and zombie infested city of London to rescue the Royal Family.
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This one is coming out from Harper Voyager, an imprint of HarperCollins.
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Three months, which is about average for me.
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Hmmn, I’m not sure there is an alternate history world war one steampunk adventure out there to compare it to. Maybe Kim Newman’s Anno Dracula? (WWI with vampires instead of zombies.)
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
See question 2. Once I had the idea, I thought about how much fun it would be to write and that was all I needed.
10. What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
Come on! It’s zombies in World War One with steampunk gadget and gizmos! Do I really need to say anything more?
* And in case you missed it, you still have time to grab By the Blood of Heroes, book one of the Great Undead War!